Thursday, 3 January 2013

Chinese New Year

Looks like I'm starting the year with daily posts! Welcome to my latest show and tell. I mentioned yesterday that my camera passed away peacefully in its sleep. It served me well over the past few years and it was time to lay it to rest.

Today's post also sees the passing of another favourite: Waltzing Mouse Sketch Challenge.  My first card for this challenge was way back in March 2012 "You're Eggstra Special" and since then I've been a regular player. The following month, the unthinkable happened! I won with this little number called "Celebrate" and it was no easy victory! WMS stamps did me proud again this "Halloween Wishes" creation that I made for the WMS Monthly Blog Party in October .

Sad to see this challenge end but I suspect something exciting is brewing in the background. I love Claire Brenan's artwork - she has a wonderful mix of elegant script, whimsical images and posh Victorian stamps which are timeless and versatile. I find myself reaching out for her stamps always. Before I succumb to a full-blown bawl, I want to show you my entry for the last WMS Sketch Challenge #129.  With a touch of nostalgia, I'm using the same Asian Gardens Additions set that gave me my WMS first win.

I must apologise for the poor picture quality. These were taken with my phone.


I'm having another go at CAS my way. That 1" strip of patterned paper is from Crafts-Too's Oriental Papers 6x6 pad. In case you're wondering, Chinese New Year is on the 9th of Feb...or is it on the 10th? Can someone confirm, please?

I adhered the layered image and greeting onto a plain background.  Some pop-dots for dimension. That's it! Keeping it simple, y'all!


Here's a close-up of the image and greeting. I stamped the lantern with Tim Holtz's Barn Door distress ink. Then I layered it on CS cut with Spellbinders Standard Circle and Scalloped Circle dies. The greeting is also from The Asian Gardens Addition set, which I heat embossed in white.   

I kept the inside plain, with plenty of  room for a personal message.

I'm also taking this card to Creative Card Crew #26 "Chinese New Year"; The Stamping Chef "Celebration"; Always Something Creative #45 "New Year"; Cute Card Thursday #250 "Something New" and Sunshine Creations #5 "For the New Year". And before you rush off, please swing by Make It Monday #122 for an explosion of talent!

Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to continue my quest for a new camera and hopefully my next post will have better quality photos. See you tomorrow for the first Polkadoodle post of the year... a little surprise awaits you. So make sure you swing by tomorrow, bright and early at 9am!

Beijinhos!

Blogged to:
Double chocolate chip muffin, coffee and 

23 comments:

  1. Ah-mazing card! I love the stitched paper! Thnx for playing with The Stamping Chef :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Asha, this is such a stunner! I love the patterned paper you chose to go along with your lantern...a perfect fit! This wins as the prettiest New Year's card that I have ever seen! I will miss your WMSC creations and your hilarious blog posts to match :)! But I know that I will see you around for WMS events in 2013. That makes me happy just thinking of it :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an elegant card Asha - love the red and the papers. Fabulous - see ya tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asha, I am blineded by all the white space!! I adore that oriental paper, gorgeous rich colours-another win I feel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great occasion for a card, very Chinese in feel too, well done and thanks so much for playing along with the last Mischief Maker Sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this card! The papers are just gorgeous and I do like the shine on the lantern! Fab!

    Must go off and play Breakfast in America - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful card, Asha! Love the gorgeous lantern, the stitching and the paper! I wish you all the best for the year 2013! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous take on this week's sketch...
    I'm dying over those perfect papers!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us on our last WMSC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I love this - the lantern matches your paper PERFECTLY and Happy New Year to you my friend! Red is lucky in Chinese - must forward this to my daughter ... she's going to flip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I just love this!! The colors and theme are wonderful and I love the interior!! Thank you so much for playing along in the final WMSC challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Asian theme, Asha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun card, thanks for playing along with us at WM!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Asian flair on this fab card Asha! I'm sorry to see this challenge end but I think you're right, Claire has something better in store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work! Love the stiching. Happy New Year and thanks for sharing.
    xoxo Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful.
    Thnaks for joining us at ASC.
    Hugs stine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this card Asha! The paper is gorgeous and I love your CAS style too!

    Thank you for joining the challenge at the Creative Card Crew!

    Sheena
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful creation.

    Thanks for playing us at ASC.

    xoxo Andera

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning card Asha...Happy New Year..
    Saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous! Those papers are amazing and your theme just shines through. Saw this a MIM. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Asha, your card is lovely. a fab CAS style card, love the bit of oriental paper and the stitching around your image too. Thanks for linking up with Make It Monday this week.
    Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
    Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so beautiful... the bright colors caught my eye at MIM. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card and colors. Visited from MIM..Faye

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...