Monday, 1 May 2017

Chocolate Baroque: May Day Magic

It's the start of a brand new month! The year is racing by, my friends and here we are: the first day of May. Here is Portugal we call it Os Maios - May Day a Spring celebration of flowers, wreaths, garlands, food, drink... and lots of it! Just another excuse for excess ... as if we need an excuse! :)

It is a magical period: spring buds turning into blooms amongst lush greenery; floral perfume linger in the air; vibrant colours everywhere. It's magical! With this mind, I created an Art Journal Page. This is my contribution to the monthly AJ collaboration with like-minded bloggers. My partner in crime is Alice of Scrap & C. She posted her project last week: check it out here - amazing!

My project features stamps by Chocolate Baroque. The fairy is from the May Fairy DL sheet, which is part of the Spring Fairy Collection. The extra foliage and flowers are from the June Fairy and July Fairy DL sheets, respectively. These stamps are also available as the 3-stamp set called Summer Fairy Collection.

I prepared the background by priming the sheet with Faber-Castell Gesso and when completely dry, I applied Folk Art Acrylic Paints - details in the photos below. 

The Folk Art paints in the background are Apple Orchard, Cut Grass, New Leaf, Citrus, Fresh Fern and Lemon Pie. I stamped the foliage with stamps from the June Fairy DL sheet with VersaFine Olympia Green and Archival Ink Fern. For texture, I added little droplets of Liquid Pearl Mint and dots with a White Sharpie.

Here's the fairy from the May Fairy DL sheet. I stamped her with Memento Espresso Truffle, coloured with Copics and fussy cut her. I heat embossed her wings with WOW Silver EP and added lots of Stickles Stardust. I doused the fairy's dress with Stickles Icicle.

To create the "window", I used Ranger Texture Paste and TCW Stencil called Mini Cathedral of Love. I coloured the paste silver using Deco Art Dazzling Silver Metallic Paint.

These butterflies are from the May Fairy DL sheet. I heat embossed them with WOW Silver EP and added lots of Stickles Stardust.

For the background in the bottom half of the AJ page, I used Folk Art paints in Black Cherry, Magenta, Berry Wine, Sugar Plum, Peony, Baby PinkLight Periwinkle and a touch of Midnight. The flowers are from the July Fairy DL sheet, stamped with VersaFine Imperial Purple and Olympia Green. I stamped the sentiment with Archival Ink Jet Black and to finish, I added some highlights with a White Sharpie.

And voila! We have a little May Day Magic - an Art Journal Page depicting just what that looks like in my head. :)
Challenges:
Artistic Inspirations #178: AG
Simon Says Stamp Monday: Great Outdoors
Love To Create #9: AG Mixed Media
Vintage Journey: Magic Of Three (3 butterflies)
Moving Along With The Times #44: Fairies

Thank you so much for stopping by and I wish you magical day too!

Beijinhos!

10 comments:

  1. Oooohhhh... You really catched the magic, my friend!!! This is a wonderful scene, so inspiring!! Your mind is very immaginative! :) Great choice of blended colours, vibrant and wishmical!!! My favourite zone of the background is the bottom, it remembers me the cherries :)
    You have done an amazing mix of CB stamps and LOVE, love soooooo much the foliages on the top, they have a very interesting look with the textures you have added!!! The fairy is very sweet (and I just adore her green sparking dress!!:D) The silver arch with the lovely sentiment and the butterflies have a beautiful dimension and are a perfect focal point (I have always problem to put a single focal point in my makes, I must learn!) The purple flowers look just delicious with the white highlights! A lot of amazing details on this page, dear Asha, you have been very busy with it, but the result is magnificent!
    Thanks again for have asked me to join in, I have to say that I'm in love with AJ pages :D Love experiment with free mind!
    Hugs, Have a super first of May! Here rain, rain, rain... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gob-smacking gorgeous Asha. Such beautiful colours and texture. You are so very talented.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful piece of work, gorgeous, thanks for joining us at MAWTT, xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh-Just amazing!! I love it:) It is a true fairy land and so many techniques one card. I love fairies and the foliage is like a wonderful world

    ReplyDelete
  5. A magical make for are Asha...love the background and the fabulous fairy/stunning colours. Great to have you on board with us at AVJ for our Magic of 3 challenge

    Best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing piece of art, stunning colors, combination of images, medias and the depth is fabulous, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello… Thanks for sharing your lovely journal page with Moving Along with the Times, it fits perfectly with our ‘Fairies’ Challenge. Hope you can join us again.
    Diane Louise (DT member) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy all the texture elements in your work.

    Diana
    Playingwithoutlimits.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a real stunner of a piece! I adore how you built that color palette and blended the shades so perfectly. And yes- this piece is full of that sense of Spring magic! You did a beautiful job and I'm so glad you shared your talents with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stamps and great texture---Thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspirations
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...